Being Filled With the Holy Spirit
A practical Bible study
”Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." (Ephesians 5:18 NIV).
What do you imagine it is like to be really thirsty? What words would you use to describe this feeling? Could this also have a spiritual dimension do you think?
For further thought
Think about your walk with God so far and write down any significant experiences of the Holy Spirit in your life. Were these helpful for you? If you feel able why don t you share some of your insights with the group.
Discuss the following
What pictures or images could you use to describe the Holy Spirit and his activity. How do you feel about him? Try to be honest and describe what you really feel and not what you think you should!
Read Acts 2:37-39
- Who do you think God’s Spirit is for? Is anyone left out?
- When does he first come into our lives? What other factors are involved? How important are these?
Read Luke 11:9-13
- What do you think can hinder us from receiving the good gifts that God has for his children? Is there anything you need to do first?
Read Acts 1:8
- From this (and other scripture passages) what do you think would be the result of being filled with the Holy Spirit? How much of a difference would it make to your life? John 7:37-39
- From this passage what are the conditions (if any) for being filled with the Holy Spirit? Who should we come to? What must we do?
Ask God to show you if there is still more that he wants to give you. Listen to what he is saying and be open to receive whatever he has for you. If you feel able why not ask the others in the Group to pray with you.
”And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” (Luke 11:9 ESV).